Wednesday 25 March 2020

An Album a Day Keeps the Doctor Away #30 & 31: Luciferian Towers & Book Burner

What up motherfuckers. Welcome to double day. We’re doing the reviews for the album I listened to yesterday, for day 30 (which I couldn’t write up yesterday as I was busy doing things and stuff and stuff and things) and the album from today, day 31, all rolled into one beautiful review. Did it help that I got two wildly disparate albums so I could bounce them off one another? No, no it didn’t.

Godspeed's Luciferian Towers // Pig Destroyer's Book Burner

Yesterday I had Luciferian Towers by Goodspeed You! Black Emperor, and today I got god damn Book Burner by Pig Destroyer. Luciferian Towers is a post rock / drone album and Book Burner is grindcore. Luciferian Towers is four tracks clocking in at nearly 45 minutes and Book Burner is 19 tracks clocking in at just over 30 minutes (unless you count the bonus disc then it’s 26 tracks at about 43 minutes). One of these albums nearly put me in a head-rolling, drool down the shirt kinda trance. The other made me want to break stuff (just like Limp Bizkit).

This Godspeed album I think I got from a JB HiFi at some stage. It looked pretty and I knew they were a post rock band (and at the time, I had money) so I was like yeah why not I’ll grab that. And yesterday was a good day for it to come up as I was re-organising my entire CD collection and I needed something background to put on. But boy is Luciferian Towers more than just a background album. It’s probably the most triumphant sounding post rock album I’ve heard in a hot minute what with all those horns and strings everywhere. For real I finished off the jewel case portion of my collection yesterday as Bosses Hang was finishing (on the fourth replay of the album I’d done) and I was like fuck man this is making me feel like I just smashed out climbing the peak of Everest or something. It was wild. And today, as I’ve been writing this and listening to it again, Fam / Famine really out here lulling me into (and being the perfect droning soundtrack for) that weird sleeping but not sleeping state. And my god do I love existing in that state.

And then we get to Book Burner: a fucking wakeup call and a half if ever I heard one. I like this music a lot for how mindless it can be at times. It weirdly doesn’t take a lot out of heavy stuff like this for me to be like oh fuck it slaps doesn’t it. I seem to have devolved with extreme music to oogabooga man make one minute song with chonky riff that’s not overproduced and pro-tooled to fuck. That’s all I need from this stuff and I just become bedroom mosh extraordinaire. And especially now in this time of no FUCKING GIGS we all need a bit of that don’t we. Now I know 19 tracks is kinda daunting no matter what way you look at it (even if those 19 tracks are for the most part two minutes and under), so, here are my six favourites and why:

  1. Eve. It’s got fucking gnarly guest vocals from Katherine Katz (Agoraphobic Nosebleed) and when that half time riff kicks in at around 45 seconds in I just wanna stomp around my room in my damn stomping boots.
  2. The Diplomat. CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOO CHOO GOES THE DAMN RIFF TRAIN.
  3. Valley of the Geysers. I fucking love how this is nearly four different songs in two minutes. My favourite is the one that starts at 1:39. What does it got? IT GOT RIFFS BOI.
  4. Baltimore Strangler. Once again, that halftime break at around halfway through the song just fucking flows into my break stuff soul.
  5. Burning Palm. It’s Decapitated goes grindcore isn’t it.
  6. Permanent Funeral. The longest song on the album clocking just over four minutes. It’s the best Slayer song with a hardcore groove that Slayer never wrote.

And there you have it. These two albums are a lovely little full stop on month one / season one of this fun little experiment here. And this might be a good time to take some time off to work on season two or some shit. Because it's hard to write something every day. Maybe next month I'll start a different series. Who knows really. Regardless, the real winner here is me because I listened to some cool albums thus affirming and vindicating my own preconceived notions of the excellent taste I have (for the most part). Thanks for reading and coming on this journey with me <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Omens

A 12 AM, winter drive, under blankets of black sky There'll be no sleep till Brisbane & I got exams, at 9 Cousin Dan drives while I ...

Popular Posts