Friday 20 March 2020

An Album a Day Keeps the Doctor Away #26: Metallica - Master of Puppets

Happy Friday, pals. Day 26 of these things. Somehow almost a month in. And today we got number 143: One of Metallica’s classic records or something, Master of Puppets.

Metallica // Master of Puppets


In high school I was all about and justice for all and the black album. I was also all about Disposable Heroes after hearing that on the Racket once. But as the years went by, Metallica resonated with me less and less. I don’t like straight up metal music anymore because I’m a sad fukn emo boi aren’t I. But here’s the thing: as much as I say I don’t like straight up metal anymore, when I was listening to this today, it was like going back and hanging with old friends (at least for the songs I’d heard before). Like, ah, yes, that riff in Puppets is actually dope. And yeah, I have genuinely good memories of that time I got Guitar Hero Metallica for Wii and my entire family played Battery with me. And the intro of Disposable Heroes is legit rad, as is BACK TO THE FRONT. And as for the songs I’d never listened to before, The Thing That Should Not Be is a little too one paced for me. Leper Messiah is a song for stomping around in big old stomping around boots (take that as you will). Orion has an illegal fade out. And Damage Inc is actually a decent thrash track. It’s just Metallica isn't it. It's Master of Puppets. But, it still ain't got shit on Dyers Eve does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Omens

A 12 AM, winter drive, under blankets of black sky There'll be no sleep till Brisbane & I got exams, at 9 Cousin Dan drives while I ...

Popular Posts