Sunday 22 March 2020

An Album a Day Keeps the Doctor Away #28: Sandi Thom - Smile... It Confuses People

Hey what’s up today’s been a long day. I filmed a music video, cut my foot a little, watched Scott Morrison fucking embarrass himself on live television, and had gnocchi for dinner. And I still managed to bang out a listen of album 28 in this series: Smile... It Confuses People by Sandi Thom.

Sandi Thom // Smile... It Confuses People


Lemme start by shouting out the obvious here that I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker is still an absolute fucking rager. This song will always be a stomp hymn for those born in the wrong generation (for better or worse). I remember it being everywhere and being one of the few songs that's never felt overplayed to me. It played on the radio on the way to and from school every day. It played at Bundy Bowl & Leisure back in the day. It probably played at school concerts in primary school that I didn't go to. But other than that track, I really had no idea what the rest of the album would be like because nothing else on it got on radio back in the day. But when I saw it at Lifeline Bookfest (recurring theme alert) I was like yeah I’ll cop this album for a dollar just so I can have Punk Rocker. And the rest of the album is I guess singer songwriter w/ full band, folky type record. Not something I have a lot of experience with. And I mean, it’s okay I suppose. It gives me no reason to hate it but also no reason to love it, save for the aforementioned best single ever. I think Castles is actually a really good song. It's think it's quite beautiful lyrically (in my faux-ass poet opinion):
I'm just skimming stones against the lake / while my dreams pass me by / I've never known what to make of life / but I guess I'm willing to try
Like, that's actually a nice image. The bridge is also very nice in this song. Little Remedy is also decent in a Missy Higgins kinda way. But for the most part this album is just kinda outside my scope really. I got it for a single and nothing else on it is as good as the single what do you want from me (you should still check out Castles though).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Omens

A 12 AM, winter drive, under blankets of black sky There'll be no sleep till Brisbane & I got exams, at 9 Cousin Dan drives while I ...

Popular Posts