Wednesday 11 March 2020

An Album a Day Keeps the Doctor Away #17: Bat for Lashes - Fur & Gold

It is Wednseday, my dudes. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Anyway, back to our regular programming. Today I RNG’d the number 610. Time to get the eyeliner out, we been listening to Bat for Lashes’ debut record, Fur & Gold.

Bat for Lashes // Fur & Gold


This is a very nice little gothy singer songwriter record with some very smooth baroque-dark tracks. It’s got that big, room filling boom kinda drum sound going on. It’s got old jet black grand pianos with gathering cobwebs and dust vibes. And an occasional touch lace shrouds, dark red wine, and even darker red lipstick. I’m about it. I’m very about it.

I love the songs here with that creeping, ominous bassline like Trophy and Sarah. What’s a Girl to Do has some Young Heretics The Lost Loves vibes with that gloomy synth. Sad Eyes is a, wine-glass in hand, dark bathrobe wearing, scorned middle-aged-lady on a rainy night in a movie type track and I weirdly feel it in my soul for not being any of those things. The Wizard almost has some Portishead vibes and Prescilla has a nice clap beat going on too. And I Saw a Light, my god, what a closer. Piano track about seeing a light that sounds like the soundtrack to the space between sleep and wake where your senses are heightened but you're not sure what's real and not.

This is album is a very nice middle ground between Chelsea Wolfe on Birth of Violence, Florence & the Machine, and Daughter. Thank you Lifeline Bookfest for always giving me the goods. And thank you, me, for always saying "oh I've heard this group's name before, for only a dollar, might as well buy the album".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Omens

A 12 AM, winter drive, under blankets of black sky There'll be no sleep till Brisbane & I got exams, at 9 Cousin Dan drives while I ...

Popular Posts